Wednesday, 25 January 2017

How to study effectively

Hi guys,

I know it's been a while since I last posted but second year med chem exams can be stressful. For most of us a new year means a new semester. This brings with it new classes and an opportunity to study the right way. 

When I say 'The right way' I mean taken what you wish from my list of tips and making them work for you. I done a previous study smarter not harder post a few months ago but I've picked up some other tips since then that I thought I would share with you guys. 

So let's get started.....





Numero uno, Letting go. 

Don't spend time dwelling on what you could have done last semester. If your like me you won't get your exam result's for a while. There is absolutely no benefit to stressing about your results now, it won't change them. Instead take note of what didn't work last time and build on that. 






Revise material sooner

One thing that didn't work for me was scheduling all my study for two specific days. It is proven that revising material straight after you've had a class is better for you. Although you may have the notes in front of you the point of going to class is for the extra nuggets of wisdom your lecturer will slip into the lecture. For instance highlighting what info in the notes is not going to be on the exam. I have started studying each lecture notes the same day as the lecture. Of course this means some days will have more studying than others.







Plan ahead

Plan for the free time you have. On a monday I have labs, no classes therefore no lecture notes to study. Instead I start my lab reports that day. Again the information is still fresh in  your mind. Last semester I would start reports whenever I had free time that could be days after by which point I would need to look at my manual to try and remember what the point of the experiment was. Plan one day maybe at the weekend that you have completely free, this day can be used for any missed revision and finishing up reports.





Do the self work

Unlike school everything you need to know will not be handed to you. 50% of what you need to learn is self teaching. You can get this extra info from books, websites or my favorite YOUTUBE !! So obviously don't use Youtube as a source in a report but to help you really grasp the hard topics it is a very goof source of information. For chemistry student's I recommend 'Ben's chem videos'. He thought me a whole module in one night. 

Most lecturers provide a recommended reading list on the first day. This is something I did not use last semester and really regretted. This semester I made sure to get the name of at least one recommended book for each module.





I hope these tips help to make semester too a little bit easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment